½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
¾ tablespoon olive oil
2 thick bread slices (whole-wheat or P 28)
¼ can (from a 14.5 ounces can) sliced beets, drained
1.5 ounces soft mild goat cheese, softened
4 large arugula leaves
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 very thin red onion slice, separate the rings
Sea salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1. Place the rack 6 inches away from the heating element in the oven.
2. Set the oven to broiler mode and preheat the oven.
3. Add vinegar, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard into a bowl and stir.
4. Add ½ tablespoon of oil and whisk well. Stir in the beets.
5. Place bread slices on a baking sheet, and brush with the remaining oil.
6. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
7. Place the baking sheet in the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes.
8. Take out 1 bread slice from the oven and set it aside. Flip the other bread slice. Spread goat cheese over the bread slice and place it back in the oven.
9. Broil for another minute.
10. Place beet slices, onion, and arugula over the goat cheese laver. Cover with the bread slice that was set aside, with the toasted side facing up.
11. Cut into the desired shape and serve.